Monday, June 8, 2009

Kdrama - One Fine Day (2006)


Synopsis - Drama Wiki
Photos - Google

After Seo Haneul (Sung Yu Ri) lost her mother in a fire, she was later adopted by a wealthy family and experienced a life of many twists and turns. Seo Gun's (Gong Yoo) father had married an unwed mother, thus making Seo Haneul his sister in the eyes of the law. After their parents passed away, Seo Haneul was adopted by a wealthy chairman of a large organization who has also became a gangster. Upon using Haneul to extort money, Seo Gun and Haneul slowly fall in love with each other.



Wait a minute? Why did I watch One Fine Day? The next Kdrama I suppose to be watching was going to be Iljimae. Instead I chose to watch One Fine Day. Gong Yoo. That's the main reason. Since he's currently serving in the military right now, I was missing him for some reason. Plus I found him looking extra yummy from the movie stillls and YouTube links I saw before.



When watching the first episode, I was hooked. I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next. However, I was let down with the middle episodes. Overall, the drama is worth watching. But -- a huuuuuge big but!!!! -- storylines of love triangles and "sibling" love are so overplayed in Kdramas. That's what made me say NO to watching them in the first place. Slowly but surely, my friends tried to get me to watch Kdramas. I need more Kdramas that is similar to A Time Between Dog and Wolf and My Name is Kim Sam Soon. Iljimae definitely fits that description. Instead I was too focused on Yoo Gun's good looks and overlooked it. Another drama that has been recommended to me is Green Rose.



Another problem I have with Kdramas is with so many episodes, there is some level of suspense built in. However, in the last episode -- it's alwayas the LAST episode -- I feel it's rushed. You'll see so many months or days that have passed, you see nothing. Then all of a sudden, that person is waiting for the other person all those years with NO contact.



Sung Yu Ri has natural beauty and is adorable. Her character highlights that and emphasizes her obedience and love for being adopted. She yearns for her real brother to find her as he promised. I have never seen her in any other movies or drama and was quite astonished to find out she was part of the once-then girl groupie, F.I.N.K.L -- Lee Hyori rocks!



Lee Yeon Hee is in love with Gong Yoo's character. He has been living with her family since he was a child. She has a heart condition and her heart only belongs to him. Never did I realize that Lee Yeon was the same girl in A Millionaire's First Love. She is too cute and I love her character.



Nam Goong Min plays Sung Yu Ri's boss, also known as "team leader." He is the kind of guy who you want to take home to your parents cause he's very understanding and loving. But for some reason, you just try to love him but you can't.



Yoo Ha Joon plays a creepy character. He is the "brother" of Sung Yu Ri and is obsess with her. Interesting enough, a tidbit - rumor that they are/or were actually a couple in real life.



Maybe I'm impatient and that's why I prefer movies over dramas anyday! For me, Korean movies are the best in the Asian industry. Nevertheless, One Fine Day is worth watching for the Gong Yoo's acting, hot bod, and loveable character. Everyone acts very natural in the drama. Just like friends and family members, as much as they will annoy you, you will still love them no matter what. That's how I felt with every character in the drama.

No comments: