Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Kmovie - Heartbreak Library (2008)


Synopsis & Photos - Hancinema

Eun-soo, a librarian watches for book vandalism that currently happens in the library. One day, she catches Jun-oh tearing off certain page of books. Eun-soo accuses him of vandalism but soon discovers the complex story behind his actions. Jun-oh’s girlfriend suddenly leaves him with only a mysterious note. “Look up page 198”. Jun-oh’s girlfriend was a bibliophile and she checked out books regularly at the library. Jun-oh goes to the library and tears out page 198 from every book he comes in touch. As Eun-soo has just broken up, she gives him an advice saying that he has to let her go if she really meant it. However, looking at Jun-oh torn apart by his love, Eun-soo starts to help him decipher the messages on page 198 of all the books.



Originally, I remember this film being titled Page 198 of that Man’s Book. However, of course, most Korean film and/or drama title have literal meanings and different titles if releasing in the USA or so. Being the LDW (Lee Dong Wook) fan that I am, I was unable to wait for this movie. For me, it is hard to find legit DVDs with English subtitles of Asian cinema where I live. Who ever thought that would be a problem in Atlanta? There are lots of Asian shops but most do not rent out movies and/or have DVDs with English subtitles. There goes my luck. Fortunately, I have a few friends who sends me Asian movies when they can. Thank you!



Usually I don't let over-excitement for a movie disappoint me. I just go with the flow. However, that's not the case with Heartbreak Library. Overall, it was a very very very slow movie and was very disappointing. Nothing to do with any acting, just the storyline.



LDW is my favorite Korean actor. He is hot and can act. But I felt he was underused in the movie. It really didn't matter who played Jun-oh because even a newbie could have done the role. Okay, maybe that was a bit harsh since his crying scenes is definitely put me to tears. Other than that, he and Eugene look amazing together.



Eugene is so naturally beautiful. Although I like her as a singer, I've never seen her act. Loved her character. Sassy yet loveable. Looking forward to seeing more of her in the future.



In all, even though LDW and Eugene look good together on screen. There was not enough chemistry with the two. I didn't see much of a "love" story with them. The movie actually was rushed to show what kind of person Jun-oh is/was. Once you learn that, you want to see what is going on with him, Eun-soo wanting to help him out because he's not the bad guy she thought he was. You never got to see Jun-oh and Eun-soo as a couple. Next time, could I please get more of LDW and Eugene in a romantic movie together? Thanks.

No comments: