Friday, June 5, 2009

Kmovie - My Mighty Princess (2008)


Synopis & Photos - Asianmedia

Kang So-hwi, a beautiful martial arts prodigy, is about to embark on a journey into adulthood. But her journey is like no other. Her super-human strength and martial arts prowess scares away her fellow undergrads and even the boy she has fallen for. Devastated, So-hwi decides to give up martial arts and takes a different path. Her father, a martial artist himself, is afraid of losing an heiress to the family’s martial artistry, and missions So-hwi’s old buddy Ilyoung to persuade her to stay in the field. Meanwhile, the evil Heuk-bong provokes a war to conquer the martial arts world with the legendary Fine Blade he stole in the past, killing every swordsman one after another. So-hwi’s father comes to a showdown with Heuk-bong, but the battle leaves him fatally injured. On the brink of her father’s death, So-hwi picks up a sword again with a burning desire for revenge.



I have to admit. I wanted to see this movie because of the hottie - Yoo Gun (which can be spelled in so many ways!! I've seen U Gun & Yu Geon too) Although I've only seen him in photos, I wanted to see him act. Yes, he's that hot. My taste in men are definitely "different," lol. What I mean is most metrosexual-looking guys just don't do it for me. That's why it's so hard for me to find a lot of Asian guys, "hot" only by pictures. Most of them, I fall for when I watch them in movies. Yes, I know. It's funny since I'm Asian myself and so is my husband. However, Asian is such a broad term since there are so many Asian countries. But most people think of Asian cinema just for Hong Kong, Japanease, or Korean movies.



My Mighty Princess was long in the making. It took two years for it to finally be released. I'm not sure of the delay because honestly, I'm not that familar with Asian cinema. Most online sites that I try to get updated information on is not shown in English. Therefore, I rely on a lot of fan sites that provides translations. The cinema that I'm most familar with is Indian cinema, which I put so much effort blogging about it with screen caps. I grew up watching Indian cinema, mostly Bollywood. Even though I grew up with some Hong Kong films, such as the Shaw Brothers, it was Bollywood that won me over. Several years ago, I got into Korean cinema.



Sin Min Ah is just too adorable!! She reminds me a little bit of the famous Hong Kong actress, Vicki Zhao, in some angles. Already saw her in Madeleine and adore her. Her character in the movie just wants to live a normal life. She falls in love but her father wants her to continue her martial arts. Not only is she skilled and talented, she is very strong and can only stop the evil villian from destroying what her father and his friends have.



On Joo Wan. I swear you look like the famous Kpop singer and actor, Bi aka Rain. Looking forward to watching more movies of you cause you are just too cute. His character was a goofy, kind-hearted, sweet, caring guy who knew maritial arts -- I have a soft spot for guys who can kick ass. He played the childhood friend who grew up with Sin Min Ah's character. But they have not seen each other in many years. He accepted her father's propsoal to get her back into martial arts.



Yoo Gun is one of the hottest Korean actors ever to me. He is the college hockey player and the love interest of Sin Min Ah. She follows him everywhere like a puppy dog. But his heart is for an older police woman. When I saw that, I just wanted to say, "hey, I'm older than you, follow me!!!" He appeared more in the beginning of the movie playing hockey, chasing the older woman, and riding his motorcycle, but towards the end, he wasn't shown much. Next time, I want more Yoo Gun.



My kids and I watched My Mighty Princess last night and absolutely adored it. Now, I'm not going to lie and say that it is the best movie or whatso. It is very entertaining. I will watch it again for the many comedic parts. Storyline is interesting and kept us glued to the screen. We love martial arts. The only downfall is the ending.



OST is awesome!! My favorite song is "Unfade" by Baechigi f/ AG. The rest of the OST is the following:

"Because I'm a Man" - MC Mong
"Earth, Wind, Tears" - Tree Bicycle
"Past Luv" - 45 RPM
"Unfade" - Baechigi f/ AG



No comments: