Monday, November 22, 2010

Cmovie - Mad Detective (2007)



Synopsis
Detective Bun (Lau Ching Wan) was recognised as a talented criminal profiler until he sliced off his right ear to offer as a gift at his chief’s farewell party. Branded as ‘mad’ and discharged from the force, he has lived in seclusion with his beloved wife May (Kelly Lin) ever since. Strangely, Bun has the ability to ‘see’ a person’s inner personality, their subconscious desires, emotions, and mental state. When a missing police gun is linked to several heists and murders, hotshot Inspector Ho (Andy On) calls on the valuable skills of his former mentor Bun to help unlock the killer’s identity. However, Bun’s unorthodox methods point to a fellow detective and take a schizophrenic turn for the worse…



I haven't been this impressed with a movie in a long time! Seriously. I love it! It's the type of movie that you have to pay attention to what's going on. At first, you would be confused but then you eventually start to follow it. Because I enjoyed it so much, I watched it several times again, I saw all that was unclear to me and focused on the "inner personalies" more. You have to watch it through both Ho and Bun's point of views.

Usually I watch Hong Kong cinema for the martial arts action. I've been trying to be more open-minded in watching more genres from Hong Kong. I'm not a fan of their romantic comedies or horrors. Most of the "dramas" I've seen left me disappointed.

Even movies like SPL or Invisible Target had some drama in it but was mixed with slick, martial arts. I need to focus more on Johnnie To's movies. He is a well-known director and producer.

I am really looking forward to Election and Exiled, which have been both recommended to me from so many people.

Besides the storyline and the direction, the editing is superb. A much watch! If you like Hollywood movies like Fight Club, then Mad Detective is worth a watch!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your blog,Mad detective is a psychological crime thriller,clever and insightful film.It's well written,directed,acted and finely balanced between the psychological and supernatural,an excellent piece of work.

London Theatre Tickets

Nicki said...

You're welcome. I love Mad Detective a lot. I love movies that makes me think.