Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cmovie - Dragon Tiger Gate (2006)



Synopsis - Heroic Cinema
Photos - Google


Tiger Wong is a highly skilled martial artist with a strong sense of justice. While eating at a floating restaurant, he chances upon a bully. Unable to stand by and watch him terrorize the victims he defeats the bully using his special move - Dragon Slaying Leg Eighteen. At the same time, he unwittingly grabs a gold medal. It turns out that this gold medal is the Lousha Death Plaque given by the leader of the Lousha Gate, Shibumi. Whoever owns the gold medal has the power to demand the full cooperation of Lousha Gate. Tiger, unaware of the medal's powers, is ambushed by the gang during his celebrations. As fate has it, he is saved by Dragon Wong, the bodyguard of one of the gangsters, who is sent to retrieve the medal.



Honestly, I saw this a few years ago and did *not* like it. I think my expectations were too high since I'm a huge Donnie Yen fan and just finish watching SPL. I wanted to see more awesome maritial arts.

After learning that Dragon Tiger Gate was adapted from a manhua (Chinese version of manga) called Oriental Heroes, I was more interested. However, it was really after realizing that Donnie Yen was the fight choreographer and Wilson Yip was the director that made me give it a second chance. And oh yeah, my crush on Nicholas Tse!



So when I finally got a hold of the dvd (again), I re-watched with a clear mind.

Was this the same movie that I disliked several years ago? It was good! The storyline could've been better because you could easily get confused. But the action scenes are very Stephen Chow-like at times.

I didn't mind Donnie or Nicholas's hairstyles. Donnie looks badass with it though. But Shawn's hairstyle made me cringe!! It looked like a mop on top of his head, lol.



I am glad I re-watched. Not every movie out there is meant for an Oscar. Some are just here to entertain. The more movies I watch, the more open-minded I have become.

Don't shoot down Dragon Tiger Gate either!

No comments: